Howard H. Patterson
Ph. D., 1969, Brandeis University
Research is being carried out in three areas of chemistry: photochemistry/photophysics, catalysis, and bioinorganic chemistry.
Photochemical-photophysical studies are being carried out on metal-metal bonded excimers and exciplexes in an NSF funded project. In solution or in the solid state, the d10 dicyanoaurate(I) and dicyanoargentate ions form luminescent oligomers. These systems can be tuned with the luminescence energy varying over 18000 cm-1. Inorganic complexes with this unusual photochemical behavior can be used to build solid state photonic systems. There are also applications in sensors and chemical assays using luminescence detection as well as nanoscale science and engineering.
Research is also being carried out in the area of catalysis. Metal ions such as Ag+ are being doped into alummino-silicate structures, called zeolites. These systems in the presence of light show photocatalysis in which pollutants are photodecomposed. Also, in the energy area we are beginning to study CO2 reduction with H2O in collaboration with scientists in Japan.
Heart disease is the leading cause of death in the United States. One of the trace elements implicated in the disease is manganese (Mn). Previous studies have shown that high density lipoprotein (HDL) structure is altered with manganese deficiency. In our research we are attempting to understand the relationship between Mn and HDL structure. Fluorescence and NMR spectroscopies are being used to probe the different metal binding sites and understand the effect of Mn on HDL secondary structure.
For more on the Patterson research group, take this link.
- "Spectroscopic Studies on "Exciplex Tuning" for Dicyanoaurate(I) Ions Doped in Potassium Chloride Crystals" J. Phys. Chem, B106, 10058 (2002) Samanthika R. Hettiarachchi, Manal A. Rawashdeh-Omary, Sofian M. Kanan, Mohammad A. Omary, Howard H. Patterson, Carl P. Tripp.
- "Temperature Dependence of the Chemical Structure of K2Na [Ag(CN)2]3", Applied Physics, A74, S1296 - S1298 (2002), P. Fischer, B. Lucas, H. H. Patterson, and C. L. Larochelle.
- "Reversible Luminescence Thermochromism in Dipotassiumsodium Tri[dicyanoargentate(I)] and the Role of Structural Phase Transitions", J. Solid State Chem. 168, 274 (2002) P. Fischer, B. Lucas, M. A. Omary, C. L. Larochelle, and H. H. Patterson.
- "Synthesis, Structure and Photoluminescence Properties of the I-Dimensional Chain Compounds [(TPA)2Au][Au(CN)2] and (TPA)AuCI (TPA= 1,3,5-Triaza-7-phosphaadamantane)", Inorg. Chem, 41, 6274 (2002) Zerihun Assefa, Mohammad A. Omary, Brian G. McBurnett, John P. Fackler, Jr., Howard H. Patterson and Richard J. Staples.
- "Photodecomposition of Carbaryl in the Presence of Silver-Doped Zeolite Y and Suwannee River Natural Organic Matter", Environmental Science and Technology, 37, 2280-2285 (2003) M. C. Kanan, S. M. Kanan, R. N. Austin and H. H. Patterson.
- "Write/Read/Erase with Laser Irradiation of Dicyanoargentate(I) Doped and Pure Crystals", J. Phys. Chem., B107,14249 (2003) S. R. Hettiarachchi, H. H. Patterson and M. A. Omary.
- "Luminescence Properties of Silver(I) Exchanged Zeolite Y and Its Use as a Catalyst to Photodecompose Carbaryl in the Presence of Natural Organic Matter", Research in Chem. Intermediates, 29, 691 (2003) M. C. Kanan, S. M. Kanan and H. H. Patterson.
- "Photoluminescence Spectroscopy as a Probe of Silver Doped Zeolites as Photocatalysts", Current Opinion in Solid State and Material Science, vol. 7/6, pp 443-449 (2004), Sofian M. Kanan, Marsha C. Kanan, and Howard Patterson.
- "Dioxin Alters Human Low-Density and Very Low-Density Lipoprotein Structure with Evidence for Specific Quenching of Trp-48 in Apolipoprotein C-II", Biochemistry, 43, 8503 (2004), Eric Arehart, Gregory Giasson, Mary T. Walsh(Boston University School of Medicine), and Howard Patterson.
- "Metallophilic Interactions in Closed-Shell d10 Metal-Metal Dicyanide Bonded Luminescent Systems Eu[AgxAu1-x(CN)2]3 and Their Tunability for Excited State Energy Transfer", Journal of Physical Chemistry, B109,102 (2005). J.C. F Colis, R. Staples, C. Tripp, D. Labrecque and H. H. Patterson.
- "Structural studies of Lanthanide Ion Complexes of Pure Gold, Pure Silver and Mixed Metal (Gold -Silver) Dicyanides", J. Chem. Soc., Dalton Trans, 2005,1-5, J. C. F. Colis, C. Larochelle, R. Staples, R. Herbst-Irmer and H. H. Patterson.
- "Tunable Photolumminescence of Closed-shell Heterbimetallic Au-Ag Dicyanide Layered Systems", Journal of Physical Chemistry, B109, 4317-4323 (2005), J. C. F. Colis, C. Larochelle, E. J. Fernández, J. M. López-de-Luzuriaga, M. Monge, A. Laguna, C. Tripp and H. H. Patterson.
The Patterson Group at a recent Monday morning meeting:
Done ? Where Next ?
This page last modified 10:14 AM on Sunday July 17th, 2005.
Webmaster, Department of Chemistry, University of Maine, Orono, ME 04469